Update: New Water Marble Video tutorial is available:
Water Marbling 12 steps....give or take a few:)
1. The night before you water marble leave a bottle of water out, this needs to be filter water.
Why you ask???? well its simple the water needs to be room temperature:)
2. Good Morning... collect everything you need.
a. a cup or I use a candle votive(you can reuse it, just clean it out)..... they are $.49 at the store
b. paper towels or I use a old wash cloth ($1 at the dollar store)
c. toothpicks, orange stick, tape, scissors
d. polish and polish remover
3. Deep Breath..... Know mistakes are a part of the game, you can always start over:)
4. Prep your nails , do whatever you do normally do before your regular mani's.... this is the time you want to paint a base coat on your nails, use white or with this mani I used grey.
5. Votive is placed in the middle of the wash cloth, fill votive with water leaving a small space at the top so you can dunk and not spill. If the water is not warm you may want to make it luke warm. And add a drop of polish remover.
6. Polish is very important ... like I know that Zoya's work for me so I use them a lot, but you may want to start with some cheap stuff. Try a drop of polish in the water, making sure it spreads. you may want to try each polish you are going to use.... just to make sure:) Remember you will be working with 3 to 4 colors.
*Not every polish is going to work for you, you may have to exchange polish several times.
7. Nails at the ready.... now comes the tape. Tape helps with the mess factor!!!
8. You have taped one nail, You have tested your polish (you can just leave the tops undone). I lay out everything like so......
|this just works for me do whatever makes you comfortable|
One drop at a time .... making sure each one spreads correctly. Try to work at a quick pace so you have time to do the design you want
9. Design Time!!!! the sky is the limit:) Today I'm doing a pulled in flower look.
You are going to pull the toothpick lightly through the polish towards the center and when reaching the center do a slight dunk in to make the center. After each pull you HAVE too wipe off the toothpick! If you mess up its okay just use your orange stick to gather the polish out of the votive and try again:)
|1st pull through polish|
10. If you have the look you want now you get to dunk.... slow and steady. If you need to rotate the cup do so now... so you can get the look you desire, slowly lower your taped nail into the water. Leave nail in the water.
|slowly, just try not to shake|
shaking will cause a mess!
|Use your orange stick to clean around your nail,|
to remove the extra polish.
11. Pull your nail out of the water. I blow on my nail and then cut off the tape.
|This is the part I blow for a second.|
|Cut Tape from back.|
|Carefully remove tape|
12. All you have to do now is repeat the cycle and clean up and your done!!!!
|Not cleaned up yet.|
Here are some pictures of the finished look:)
Please remember that every design is different in it's own way and yours might look slightly different than mine. I hope that this tutorial has helped you with creating a master piece of your own:) If y'all have any questions just leave me a comment and I will try to help:) I'm working on a short video clip too help you a little more:)
I think I want to see everybody's pictures.... send them to me so I can take a look:) gmail account...
firstname.lastname@example.org put in the subject water marble picture, please include your name in the email:)
Happy Polishing Everyone!! Maybe I should say Happy Water Marbling Everyone:)